Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year's Resolutions


     What are you doing for New Year? Do you, too, consider making new resolutions? 
     So far the day is more than half over and I’m still trying to settle on what to do to make this year special and meaningful. My mind keeps going back to the closing prayer for today’s feast that I have already prayed three times. The feast praises Mary through her oldest and most esteemed title, Mother of God, but our prayer is addressed to the “God of beginnings.” Tucked into that prayer is the resolution I need—assent to the plans God has made for me and this community. With Mary, I need to begin the new year in faith. Like Mary, I need to give assent to the unknown. 
     Join us in praying:
            On this first day of the new year, we praise you, God of beginnings. We rejoice that our nature is made new through Jesus Christ, born of Mary, the Mother of God. May we, like Mary, assent to the plans you make for us and spend our lives following Christ. We pray in the name of Jesus Christ who abides with you and the Holy Spirit, now and forever. AMEN.
    Sr. Mary Catherine Wenstrup, OSB

1 comment: