Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Prize


     Several weeks ago a group of sixth grade girls from a local Catholic school invited us to a Tea in honor of the Year for Women Religious in the Diocese of Covington. I was delighted with the idea. Someone asked, “Are you going?” I said, “I wouldn’t miss it for the world!”
     A group of us, almost twenty, were welcomed by smiling girls happy to greet us. We were ushered into the school where we were greeted with more smiles and led to a spread of delicious cookies and drinks. After a while we were invited to play Bingo. The cards had autumn and Halloween designs. The callers were free spirited and unentangled by rigid rules. When one Sister said that her card did not have a pumpkin under B-6, the callers discussed the problem among themselves and announced that as long as we had a pumpkin on the card, it would count no matter which column it was in.
     The part of the game that touched most was the prize. When we got a bingo, one of the hosts would come to our table with a bag of candy. She would reach into the bag and take out one small, cellophane-wrapped green Jolly Rancher and graciously place it on our card. As the game and distribution of the prizes continued, I became more and touched by the simplicity of it all. I thought to myself, “No wonder God loves children.” I shared that thought with others as we left the Tea and the thought of it remains with me still.
     On Sunday, the day after the Tea, we heard St. Mark’s Gospel (chapter 10:14-15), “Let the children come to me … for the Kingdom belongs to such as these.” and “Whoever does not accept the Kingdom of God like a child will not enter it.” I kept the Jolly Rancher that I had won in a place where I could see it and remember.
     Sr. Justina Franxman

1 comment:

  1. Sr. Justina - as always you have beautifully put into words what you feel in your heart. As one of the children - one of the many children - you have touched in your lifetime, I don't have to tell you what you mean to me. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete