Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Meditation and Intentional Breathing


        I recently finished an excellent book, Christian Meditation, by James Finley. It was a theoretical yet practical guide to meditation that I really appreciated. I strongly recommend it to anyone seeking to renew or refresh one’s relationship with God. 
       Finley’s ideas call for an hour of meditation a day, which I haven’t been able to achieve yet. I doubt that I will until a ripe old age. He does, however, accept the fact that some of us won’t have the time or use the time each day in that way. What he does advocate is quieting ourselves for as long as possible to allow the presence of God to permeate us. 
       I’m not sure how other people experience meditation or that quieting behavior, but my mind does not stop thinking very easily. I really appreciated Finley’s advice to let the thoughts come and pass on, not holding on to any one of them. Keep breathing intentionally and the thoughts will diminish and an openness to God’s presence will be more apparent. 
       I find myself practicing that intentional  breathing at quiet moments, not necessarily in one long session but at the beginning, the end and numerous times during the day. It has helped me more than I thought it would, to be more aware of God’s presence everywhere in everything. I’ve always believed that (or said I did) but now I know it more clearly. 
       There are many other good ideas in Finley’s book, but this is one that I have carried with me. I hope you find it helpful. 
       Sr. Nancy Kordenbrock, OSB

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading seven sacred pauses by Macrina Wiederhehr, and decided I would start by simply pausing at different times of the day to be aware of God's Presence in that pausing. It seems simple enough, but I'm finding it quite challenging. The day sneaks past me so fast.

    So your thoughts on intentional breathing caught my attention. I like how even the simplest action can increase our awareness of God's Presence.

    ReplyDelete