Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Sin: motives and attitudes


     On Tuesday of Holy Week our chaplain contrasted the betrayals of Judas and Peter. Judas’ sin of betrayal was premeditated, whereas Peter’s betrayal was a sin arising from fear and a desire to protect himself from identification with Jesus, lest he suffer the same fate. Having more affection for Peter I was excusing him as I listened. After all, even when one commits murder, the punishment for coldly calculated premeditation is worse than that for an impulsive killing done in the heat of passion. I was making this comparison, still absolving Peter, when I tuned back in to the homily for the application being made to our own lives.
     When we sin rashly and impulsively, we need to examine the motive and attitude that led to it. Oh. That would mean perhaps I should not be so quick to make light of my catty remark that “just slipped out” or the omission of a kind act that I think no one will notice. Look at the motive and the attitude that formed the breeding ground for the hasty sins of which I considered myself less culpable. That shed a new ray of light. But it is still ok to have affection for Peter.
     Sr. Christa Kreinbink, OSB


No comments:

Post a Comment