Thursday, June 10, 2021

Anti-Racism

 Anti-Racism: A Benedictine Concern

            The recent national observance of the 100th year marker on June 1st of the Tulsa Race Massacre and my current awareness of the upcoming celebration of Juneteenth (June 19th) woke me to the question, “How is this my concern?”

            The responses to this question have been developing throughout my whole life. My parents raised me to respect all people regardless of color or creed. (Ageism and sexism were not “on the table” in those days.) Mother’s consistent emphasis that black people were treat
ed unfairly, and often with malice, influenced my life-long thinking, study and real-life observations and interactions with and about people of color.

            In the Rule of St. Benedict which governs our life here at St. Walburg Monastery, we discover that this 6th Century author was sensitive to the social factors that keep people from becoming family to each other. He specified that there shall be no distinction between high-born and low-born monastics. All follow the same schedule, all wear the clothing and use the tools provided by the monastery and call each other brother/sister. This wisdom for the ages has been faithfully passed down to us to practice in our varying circumstances across the world. In fact, the solidarity of Benedictine Communities around the world witnesses to the equality we experience throughout our global family.

            Personally, I am honored to be trusted as an ally by a number of people of color whom I have encountered through my ministries over the years. I recognize that there are bridges yet to be built. And I welcome those opportunities to develop additional multi-cultural relationships that are in God’s Providence for me and my community.

            In solidarity with these friends and potential friends, I mourn the injustice and cruelties inflicted especially upon black people in the past and which are still in the hearts of so many. And I pray that God may remove the stones of fear, anger and vengeance for all who maintain the wall of separation.

 

https://www.history.com/topics/roaring-twenties/tulsa-race-massacre https://www.history.com/news/what-is-juneteenth

 


Sr. Dorothy Schuette, OSB


3 comments:

  1. Dear Sister thank you for this good word. In our own lifetimes these issues are slowly being sorted out. At last I notice that in the publicity for the Holy Orders they are including "African" faces to a much higher degree. We see many more cardinals from Africa visibly in the media. In this area the old churches were for a long time very far from good. A quick reminder of the history of the church in the Philippines -- how hard it was for the local people to be allowed to become priests! Thank God for this better world -- but we need to push this further, even where it is uncomfortable for us all. We need to raise more leaders who speak with utmost articulacy and intelligence and wisdom, and who appear to come from African-American or African ancestry. We need these women to stand before us and change our attitudes. God bless OSB Nuestra Senora de Aparecida pray for us amen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is uncomfortable?? In what ways? What does, We need to raise more leaders who speak with utmost articulacy and intelligence and wisdom, and who appear to come from African-American or African ancestry. We need these women to stand before us and change our attitudes"

      Confusing for me, that's all.

      Delete
  2. So true, Sister Dorothy. St. Benedict did insist on the equality of all members, and in very practical ways. Like ALL were to learn to read. My parents raised my siblings and I to be anti-racist as well. Our Oblates will be doing a year-long study on white privilege to deepen our awareness.

    ReplyDelete