Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Unfinished Tasks, Unsolved Problems and Unfulfilled Hopes

          I usually get up quite early in the morning to do a series of physical exercises and spiritual exercises (lectio)  If time runs short I do the physical exercises because I know that I will not do them at a later time. The spiritual exercises can be done later in the day.            
         But, no matter the time, when I try to pray I am bombarded by numerous "other things."  "I have to get this done." " Someone is waiting for this." "Don't forget to do that," and on and on.  What ever happened to the grace of the present moment?  Where is it? Are all these "other things" the "evil spirits" of our era of multi-tasking?  I have no answer. Out of this quandary came the answer in the prayer at the end of Evening Prayer.                                   
   "God our Creator, by your loving design
  the world passes safely into darkness
 and returns again to light.
  We give into your hands our unfinished tasks,
 our unsolved problems
 and our unfulfilled hopes.
We commend each other and those who are needy to your care,
 knowing that you bring all things to completion.
 We pray in the name of Jesus Christ,
 who is our unfailing light and hope
 and abides with you and the Holy Spirit,
 now and forever.   
                                                     Sister Kathleen Ryan, OSB 



No comments:

Post a Comment